STEEL PANTHERS ENHANCED // NORTH AFRIKA

Dedicated site for the SP: Enhanced, North Afrika, American Civil War, and Vietnam mods. Hosted by freeforums.org
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
WELCOME TO THE STEEL PANTHERS ENHANCED & NORTH AFRIKA MODS FORUM.

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have

* access to post topics and messages
* communicate privately with other members (PM)
* respond to polls
* upload content
* access many other special features and forum areas

Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join us and take advantage of the benefits the Steel Panthers Enhanced community has to offer you.

Post subject: Helo Notes May be possible to some things.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:52 pm 
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:08 am Post subject: Reply with quote Mark post as unread
Greetings...

Ah - That's correct - SP3 did also do the altitude system for heli's didn't it. It's been so long...

Anyway here's how to make a Heli in the latest version of Spwaw: (2009 enhanced)

In the main Spwaw directory theres a file called SPWAW V8 Icon list KED.xlr - a ms works spreadsheet that lists the icons and it's corrosponding turret for every vehicle.

It lists a number of helicopters - but most of them actually no longer work, And as far as I can tell, none of the rotor blades actually works anymore.

In older versions of Spwaw - there used to be a rather large selection of heli's that would work - But not any more. Icon 312 Is about the only one that still sort of looks good and works well enough... It's a sort of dark sand, light brown ch-53ish looking beast, which is ok for a transport heli...

A little tip to actually quickly look at icons: Fire up the Spwaw OOB editor - pick a minor country that you don't mind playing around with - find an empty slot - copy and paste some other unit into that empty slot and change the icon number to one of the numbers listed for a helicopter in the spreadsheet.
Then fire up Spwaw and go into the encyclopedia for that country and look at it...

When you find an icon you like - then you can start playing with the numbers.

Heli's seem to be considered by the game a sort of bizarre genetic crossbreed between pillboxes and airplanes. In that they CAN be armored - but it's not really armor - It'(CRAP!) point damage. And after a certain unknown percentage of damage to that armor facing - they will Bug off the map during the game (assuming they didn't get shot down) with NO CHANCE to rally them. So any turn it suffers damage - it's time to offload any passengers. Landing them to offload passengers WILL keep them from bugging off the map - as they can't move when landed, but they will still op-fire! Even when retreating.
I have seen them do this...
I have even seen them auto rally and become controllable again.

There is also a bug in their movement point calculations. When you load or unload passengers - sometimes it will show a lot of movement points and when you make the first move - it will move one hex and then loose all movement point getting to NOE altitude. And If you hit the cancel/take back button, the heli will be put back to the original hex - at NOE with all movement points - In effect - Cheating... ( assuming of course that you didn't spot anything new or take fire)

(in Scenario ) Loading and offloading can only be accomplished in clear or mixed terrain. Setup can be done in any terrain...

I haven't spent the time to see if the Helicopter movement sound files still exist - so they will sound like whatever size object you make them -

SP2 and SP3 helicopters had movement points in the 90's and 100's and that seems to be okay. But remember - Heli's are game breakers Just like IRVision.
They are fun to play around with for a while - but after a few games - it just gets ludicrous...

there are three classes of heli's - Standard Helicopter (transports) Attack, and Observation.
I Haven't tested this in the latest version, but in older versions:

Only the Standard version correctly loads and offloads passengers. The OB and attack versions could only load at scenario setup, could offload but then couldn't correctly reload during the scenario.

Only the OB version would stay on the map if unarmed or was out of ammo - and was an artillery spotter. I havent tested if this is still true...

--------------

So a suggested heli if you want to play around with them:

In the Spwaw editor;
Give it a name and a year.
Put it in an appropriate formation.

Icon 312 (assuming you want a transport) There are a couple of others that still work - I forget the numbers, but they are ugly or strangely colored...
A couple of machine guns with enough ammo to hose down a few infantry squads - say 12- 24 HE shots in slots 2 and 3 - as far as I can tell, the code still treats them as door guns - hidiously inacurate - as they should be. (the attack version treats them as weapons pods, but without a slot 1 primary armamant the attack version bugs off the map)

Carry cap - 0xx's for just men, 1xx's if you want to be able to move both men and small artillery pieces. (jolly greens) 2xx's if you want to move vehicles. (skycranes)

------------

If you want to have some more realistic fun - Here's an idea -

Make an OB heli that has 1 movement point. You need at least 1 to get it to altitude.
Somewhere in the icon list - there used to be a barrage balloon icon. Find it and use it.
Carry cap of 2.
Carry weight 224.
make a truck that has a carry cap of 226.
Make a formation that has your barrage balloon, the truck and a forward observer.
There obviously is NO nescesity to actually LOAD the FO on the balloon, as it is an FO itself (if that still works) - But those kind of little details are fun and realistic if you make yourself actually go through the motions...

You have a truck that carries the ballon, and the FO - you unload the Balloon, load the FO, and next turn you move the Balloon it's 1 movement point and it goes to NOE - Observing the battle field. And all of this has to be done in clear terrain. The game will enforce the loading and offloading of the FO on and off the balloon anyway only in clear or mixed...

Loads of fun! Drive your truck to the top of a hill - offload the ballon and load up your WWI arty spotter!!

Post subject: Re: Helo Notes May be possible to some things.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:35 am 
Administrator

That's some cool helicopter stuff, even if it's flawed because of the game.
And the observation balloon idea is neat!

Post subject: Re: Helo Notes May be possible to some things.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:09 am 
Administrator

I did some looking into the older versions as far back as 2.1 and the code for the Helo's is
trashed even that far back. So there is no way we will ever be able to get them back as they
once worked in Sp III I have not tried to patch one together yet for Matt but I will try to
find something that works so we can make Helo's of some sort for the Nam mod.