STEEL PANTHERS ENHANCED // NORTH AFRIKA

Dedicated site for the SP: Enhanced, North Afrika, American Civil War, and Vietnam mods. Hosted by freeforums.org
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
WELCOME TO THE STEEL PANTHERS ENHANCED & NORTH AFRIKA MODS FORUM.

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have

* access to post topics and messages
* communicate privately with other members (PM)
* respond to polls
* upload content
* access many other special features and forum areas

Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join us and take advantage of the benefits the Steel Panthers Enhanced community has to offer you.

Post subject: Release the Mod
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:57 am 
Administrator

Well, gents, I think we're at that time...I know there are still things that could be fixed/added, but, to be honest, I'm tired of keeping this thing under wraps. I also realize that the few of us that are still part of the design team have RL things that are limiting our working time...which is another reason to get this thing out to the public. Perhaps it will inspire others to help with some of the work.

I will be writing up a brief for posting that describes the Mod and some of its quirks, and creating a new public forum area for the Mod and discussions, similar to the one for North Africa. The current workshop forum will remain in the Special Projects Area, for future work.

Hopefully I'll have this ready in a week or so...

Post subject: Re: Release the Mod
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:46 am 
Administrator

Go for it!

Good job guys!

:thumbup:

"Nothing is more essential to the establishment of manners in a State than that all persons employed in places of power and trust be men of unexceptionable characters. The public cannot be too curious concerning the character of public men."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:51 am 
Administrator

Thanks for all the hard work, Flash, Matt, NAT, and any others...

So, does anyone want to PBEM with the mod when it's released?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:12 pm 
Assistant

I am burnt out on graphics and sounds. It'll be a while before I pick it back up. The wife and I are about to undergo a major change in our lives. We've been busting butt to get a down payment cobbled together for a house. The goal is to be moved in by January after the seller fixes it up for the appraisal. After that we have a lot to do. We will be doing major renovations to the interior, building a carport, tearing down a little house on the property and building a shed with it, planting a garden, building pens for chickens, etc.. needless to say, we'll be occupied for a while. Kevin, I'm sorry that I didn't get done what I promised. I will get them done, whenever I remember to work on them, but I agree that it's time for the community to enjoy this mod. It's fun as it is.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:03 am 
Administrator

Completely understand, Matt. I've got some of the same things going on, what with a house that needs renovating, a yard that needs landscaped, a workshop that needs rebuilt, and a host of other little projects.

We can always put out updates with new graphics and sounds later on, not to mention the whole naval aspect...I'd still like to get those forts done, though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:57 pm 
Assistant

I agree. The fort icons have become my albatross, so to speak, but they are as necessary to a Civil War mod as trees and hills. I may have to start completely over on them. I'll get with Tracer.

On another note, I seem to remember 'green' troops being in both OBs. Confederates have 'veteran' regiments. Is there a way to bring the 'green' troops back to both OBs?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:23 pm 
Administrator

Matt8683 wrote:
I agree. The fort icons have become my albatross, so to speak, but they are as necessary to a Civil War mod as trees and hills. I may have to start completely over on them. I'll get with Tracer.

On another note, I seem to remember 'green' troops being in both OBs. Confederates have 'veteran' regiments. Is there a way to bring the 'green' troops back to both OBs?

Yep, I've added them to both OOBs. The US has the Old Army formations (elite), Volunteers (average), Veterans (elite), Green (2nd line), and Conscripts (2nd line), plus average and elite Cavalry and Dismount formations. The CS has Veteran formations (elite), Rifle formations (average), Green (2nd line) and Conscripts (2nd line), plus average and elite Cavalry and Dismount formations.

Before this, only the Conscripts on each side were 'green'. Now, there is more variety. :ogre:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:35 pm 
Assistant

For some reason, I'm not seeing green, veterans, or conscripts formations in either OB, in any year. I have updated OBs, don't know what's going wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:43 am 
Administrator

Matt8683 wrote:
For some reason, I'm not seeing green, veterans, or conscripts formations in either OB, in any year. I have updated OBs, don't know what's going wrong.

You don't have the most updated OObs yet... :razz:
I did some revisions this past week, and I haven't uploaded the new Mod yet. I'll try to get it up today.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:24 pm 
Assistant

:anger: Guess I'll have to redo my Philippi scenario. :huh:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:19 am 
Administrator

Don't feel too bad...I have to redo both the Devil's Den and Little Round Top ones. :cry:

But this is the last revision to the OOBs. Only if errors are found or further development of stuff happens will they be edited again. :babymonkey:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:26 pm 
Assistant

:huh: Now I don't feel so bad. I only have about four Union regiments and a regiment of Confederate militia for that scenario. By the way, has anyone tried it yet? I'm on my eight days off starting tomorrow, and it's supposed to storm all week, so we'll see if I'll ever live up to my promises.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:49 pm 
Recruit

Matt: I hadn't heard back about those changes I mentioned/suggested in that PM I sent last month.

If we place the fort icons in one of the 'overlay' SHPs* vs. making them 'buildings' it would eliminate (or at lest lessen) those major LOS problems I described. That way, placing them over rock/boulder + slope hexes would provide almost the same defensive-modifier values as a 'building', but units deployed in them would then have a more realistic LOS (i.e.: could look to both their left & right, as well as 2-3 hexes 'along' the fort-wall).

The other issue I brought up was the '30-degree' stretches: I'd need to create 2 'versions' of each icon in that set, otherwise they would only form a continuous 'wall' when placed in alternating (i.e.: every other) hex-rows. You don't need to create any new/edited icons for this; I was just requesting if I could eliminate some of the 'variations' to reduce the time/effort (& icon-slots).

And I might not be able to get the units/crews to display exactly where you indicated ...I spent a couple hours on it, but doing that kept causing other problems (fort-sections not 'connecting', units on opposite side appearing 'outside' the fort, etc.). If you could give me some leeway with this, I'll try to get it 'as close as possible', cool?

Just lemme know how to proceed & I'll get these done ...and good luck with the house-hunting!

*I could put them in the 'tram track' slots in the 'a'-key category

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:48 am 
Assistant

Jim, if you think you can do a better job (which you obviously can, terrain man :) with them, please go ahead. Like I said before, I was ready to pull out what little hair I had left after working on them. Do what's best. My feelings won't be hurt if they don't work the way I wanted.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:57 pm 
Recruit

Matt8683 wrote:
Jim, if you think you can do a better job (which you obviously can, terrain man :) with them, please go ahead. Like I said before, I was ready to pull out what little hair I had left after working on them. Do what's best. My feelings won't be hurt if they don't work the way I wanted.

I just noticed the mod was released yesterday: looks like we 'missed the boat'. :red:

...but if there's a patch/update planned, I'll try to get these completed so they can be added.