STEEL PANTHERS ENHANCED // NORTH AFRIKA

Dedicated site for the SP: Enhanced, North Afrika, American Civil War, and Vietnam mods. Hosted by freeforums.org
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
WELCOME TO THE STEEL PANTHERS ENHANCED & NORTH AFRIKA MODS FORUM.

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have

* access to post topics and messages
* communicate privately with other members (PM)
* respond to polls
* upload content
* access many other special features and forum areas

Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join us and take advantage of the benefits the Steel Panthers Enhanced community has to offer you.

Post subject: Use Op Fire. Let it work for you
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:45 pm 
Administrator

Use Op Fire. Let it work for you.

By now you are probably sick of hearing me say Op fire tends to be accurate and deadly. This is going to be the case if you have your ranges set to limit long range fire from your guns. If your gun is not going to be effective past 6 hexes why would you set it to anything other then 6 or lower? I defy you to offer me a good reason to do so. There is no sense in doing it. Your not going to gain anything that makes up for exposing your own units position to the enemy player who is going to mark its location and take steps to hunt it down and kill at latter. If you take the time to deploy your forces in good positions you want to take advantage of the op fire they will do when it is not your turn. Nothing is more frustrating then to take fire from units that you can not see and can not fire on until you live through the op fire they are sending your way. It means that you would have to expose several units to the op fire just to get a chance to find the enemy that has shooting at you as you move forward. Then your going to have to deal with other units that might show themselves once you do fire on the now spotted unit. Taking even more op fire. If you put your enemy into a situation like that they are going to become upset and more inclined to make mistakes.

Even if you end up losing your unit it will have cost the enemy a good amount of time and effort to get it and with any luck several units. This if far better then you can hope for if you had your weapons off or ranges set to zero waiting to spot and press the fire button yourself.

If your enemy is every bit as skilled or even just following the advice in this forum he too will be using the op fire in this way. How do you deal with it? You use your mortars to drop a smoke screen to section off the area where you think the fire is coming from. This is good use of your smoke and I doubt that anyone can fault your use of it in this manner. Never ever fall into the trap I described above by sending unit after unit into the kill zone of a gun you can not locate hoping that sooner or latter you will spot it and live long enough to fire on it. If your first unit lives through the op fire and it has smoke discharger's now is the time to use them. Firing back on the gun if spotted or even Z firing is going to draw more op fire or even special op fire. It would be better to smoke the gun or smoke your own position and back out of the kill zone. Then you can plot your Mortars on the gun and go back in looking to take it out a turn or two latter if the mortar doesn't kill or rout the crew. You want to avoid a duel with guns at all costs. You will lose that duel far more often then you will win them and the cost of the units involved puts your armor on the losing side of the deal. I would risk a 50 point gun to shoot at a 100 point tank any day, any time, and any place. That is duel I would be more then happy to take.

If you need to take something away from this section it is this. Op fire is accurate and effective if used within the units effective range for a kill shot.

And last but not least Weigh the risk your putting your units at when moving into an area and you take op fire. If your using a high cost unit do not think that continuing to risk it is going to pay off. Odds are you will be the one losing the fight. This is why you have smoke, use it to get out trouble not to get into trouble. Don't make the mistake of doubling down and tossing even more units into the area until you deal with the threat.