STEEL PANTHERS ENHANCED // NORTH AFRIKA

Dedicated site for the SP: Enhanced, North Afrika, American Civil War, and Vietnam mods. Hosted by freeforums.org
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
WELCOME TO THE STEEL PANTHERS ENHANCED & NORTH AFRIKA MODS FORUM.

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have

* access to post topics and messages
* communicate privately with other members (PM)
* respond to polls
* upload content
* access many other special features and forum areas

Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join us and take advantage of the benefits the Steel Panthers Enhanced community has to offer you.

Post subject: SPWaW ENH and SPWaW 2016 Comparisons
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:14 am 
Sergeant

Hey Guys,

I am not trying to cause a "this is better than that" type thread , but I am wondering what are the common components , and where are the differentiations between SPWaW Enh and SPWaW 2016.
I love the focus and intent of the Enh mod , and I wonder whether 2016 utilized any of the Enh developments and which.
I am guessing that 2016 is a step towards evolution of things like sounds and graphics files that may be shared with ENh , but stays with the "vanilla" 8.403 version in order to allow functionality with revious vanilla scenarios and campaigns.
I am also wondering whether 2016 has any more recent innovations that Enh could utilize.
I am not too tech savvy , I am just trying to have the most up to date and rich installation that SPWaW has to offer.
I suppose the other pertinent question in deciding which install to work with is which version has more users currently ?

Again I want to emphasize I am not looking for a "which is better" response , just an empirical "this one has these features , this one has these features , the both have these features , and which features are most up to date".

Thanks for all the modders work regardless of which path it is on.

Kopfdorfer

Post subject: Re: SPWaW ENH and SPWaW 2016 Comparisons
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:31 pm 
Administrator

The heart of the matter is simple. The Depot used the Enhanced FR files to make the
install version they call 2016. Several of the units were corrected and there were
changes made to the sounds and some of the unit pictures as well as updated the
encyclopedia files for a lot of units. IF I understand right they just put out a patch
that updates some of the unit icons and changes more of the sounds.

However they lack full understanding of what they are doing and often find out the
hard way that in the rush to put out changes they may find they broke something
along the way. Bless his heart Iskaput means well but is just in too much of a
hurry for his own good.

As far as making things compatible with the vanilla version of the game you need to
stick to the original download of the game so you have those files in the game itself.
The Depot 2016 version is not capable of going back to the vanilla scenarios or
campaigns.

If your wondering what version to work in I would say use the Depot 2016 version
of the game. This is using what we refer to here as an Enhanced install so all the
files are brought up to enhanced standards. This does mean you can't go back to
the old vanilla version of the game but with all the updated scenarios and campaigns
being put out it won't matter.

Now if your wondering about your 17th PZG campaign I would be happy to help you
if I can in any way (same offer I made at the Depot in a reply to your post there I'm
JustAToy there and NotAToy here. What can I say, twisted sense of humor )

You can create custom oobs if needed since it would be possible to load them fast
and easy using the modswap program to overlay them on top of the Depot 2016
files. I can also help you make maps if you give me enough details on what you
want to see. We can make almost anything you want to make happen IF the game
allows us to do it. So don't blow off an idea that your not sure how to make work.
If it can be done this is where it can happen. All you have do it ask.

If you want to have a closed forum set up so you can post and make files available to
a closed group let me know and I can set one up here. Then I would need to grant
access only to those users you want in the group. We found that sort of thing helpful
in the past when we wanted to keep the inner workings of a project from public scrutiny
until we were ready to release it. It's up to you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:31 pm 
Sergeant

Thanks for the measured response - it's exactly the kind of response I was hoping for.
I hadn't specifically meant the question in response to the GvB campaign I'm working on , but clearly it is in the forefront of my mind , and pertinent to the response.

I have specific historical reasons for desiring to manipulate the OOB - I think I'll keep the 17SS discussion in that thread for clarity - I'll post there after I finish this .
I have in the past had a bit of success creating weapons ( didn't get the images into the game - and I'd like to do that for any I create in the future) and units , though I realize that this instantly makes my build disfunctional for online head to head contests - which I would like to get into eventually right up to and including C&C on.
As I said before I am really not at home in the computer world , and as such some of my paper and pencil work habits make for possible errors in my manipulating attempts , and especially in systematic changes to the database , and keeping track of each one as I make it.
I also found it challenging to get all the units showing up in all the right places in the OOB purchase. I didn't even try to make it functional in terms of computer OOB purchases as I knew I couldn't tweak the system to make those work.

I will take you up on your offer , and hopefully by the time I get "Eisenfaust" up and running , there will still be one or two guys around to try it and give me some feedback.

Thanks for your answer "SchitzoToy" (or NATJAT) !

Kopfdorfer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:06 pm 
Administrator

I can do any oob editing work in a quick manner I spent over a year working on them and know about all there
is to know in what can and can't be done. Adding in pictures for weapons that are not currently in the oob is
easy if you already have a picture. It is also not a big deal to add in different trucks and alter weapons on
the various units. So if you have in mind specific alterations to units that is easy to do.

As far as your concerns about h2h play that is not a big deal either. It's a simple matter of both players
having the same set up (something they need anyway) so if you go custom with a small mod to add in all
of your custom changes it is as simple to go H2H by just sending the mod file or pointing out where to get
it to your opponent.

And if your worried about C&C I wrote the book on it and with the help of several still active players on
the Depot and here we can tell you everything you ever wanted to know.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:02 pm 
Administrator

Not to steer the topic off course, but I just wanted to pop in and say I'm here to help,
although my knowledge pales in comparison to NAT's.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:40 am 
Sergeant

Great JEB ,
"Someday , and it may be never , I will call upon you to perform a service ..."

Vito...er I mean Kopfdorfer