STEEL PANTHERS ENHANCED // NORTH AFRIKA

Dedicated site for the SP: Enhanced, North Afrika, American Civil War, and Vietnam mods. Hosted by freeforums.org
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
WELCOME TO THE STEEL PANTHERS ENHANCED & NORTH AFRIKA MODS FORUM.

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have

* access to post topics and messages
* communicate privately with other members (PM)
* respond to polls
* upload content
* access many other special features and forum areas

Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join us and take advantage of the benefits the Steel Panthers Enhanced community has to offer you.

Post subject: Re: Problems Noted List
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:09 pm 
Administrator

Matt8683 wrote:
I may be wrong but I don't think arty crews had carbines in real life. Anyway they are more deadly than a musket volley from a full rifle unit.

Really?? Wow...that I wouldn't had predicted. :shock:

Ok, sounds like they're all going to pistols only then.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:26 am 
Administrator

Got an Error when trying to mod swap in the CW 4.1 Mod

Could not install Ter 17z1 file. Instillation aborted.

File is missing from archive. Edited out the 2 lines in the mod.ini
allowed the install to complete. :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:02 am 
Administrator

:oops: is right. Will find that pesky file and put it back in the Mod. Probably scooted under the sofa when I was rounding up its brothers. :evil:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:16 pm 
Administrator

NotAToy wrote:
Iif that is the case then we should attempt to keep the Union in slot one and doing the game
set up. This along with the Nations selections of US for Union and Germany for the CSA
will make it more or less right anyway. The game is going to want to put the Union on the
left and the CSA on the right as far as map making is concerned. Unless we force it.
I don't think forcing it is a wise idea. It's better to let the game have it's way on this one.
That should eliminate most of the map making issues that could come up.

Alright...after trying a different set of OOBs (the Spains and the ComChina/Philippines), it is, IMHO, better to use the US/UK/Germany/Finland/Soviet set again, with one change: switch the Union/Navy to the Germany/Finland group, and put the Confederacy in the US/UK group. The main reason for this is because the game defaults to Germany v Russia 1941 in both the Battle Generator and the Scenario Editor; by putting the Indians in Soviet and the US in the Germany position, it will give a reasonable battle by default and eliminate the need for the "neutral" buttons I had to stick in the last Mod update. Otherwise, you can't change the nation selection in those screens...

It also will reduce the amount of work needed to do the Leader Name rewrites; with at least 2 of the OOBs already "English", only the Union/Navy will have to be done, as well as the Indians (which is going to be a chore in itself, what with having to "make up" names to use. :coffee:

On a related note: For battle purposes, I can see keeping the CS as Player One, on the left, since the majority of the battles, at least the Eastern ones, saw the Union occupying the eastwards terrain, against the Confederates protecting Richmond to the southwest. I know there were battles where this was not the case, but it does make more sense to me (especially seeing as I built the Devil's Den map with the Union to the right) to have it this way than the other way 'round. It will still be the players' responsibility to verify every map setup for any battle they play PBEM, and we really can't spend time trying to "nanny" this; if they can't figure out how to switch sides, or don't want to do the setup, then that's their tough luck. All we need to do is make a note in the briefing for each map as to which P1/P2 setup the map was built for, and put something in the Mod documentation that explains the problem and how to avoid it. After that, it's all on them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:38 pm 
Administrator

Ok this so far then is the plan.

Union Army = Germany
Union Navy = Finland
CSA Army = US
CDA Navy = UK
Indian = Russian

Pref Settings So far
Characteristics = OFF
Mines = OFF

As for the other pref settings we need more testing.
But so far I am sticking with the following
Spotting = 85
Inf Toughness = 150
Arty v Soft = 180
Arty v Hard = 130
Air Sections = 6 (one minimum to make weather checks) others in case we have helo Class stuff.
Op Fire = 125

Base Exp should be at 60 and Base Morale should be at 65 for both sides as set by
the mech we have for testing. I think we will need to boost the numbers a lot for
the Navy side which is easy to do once we start testing it.

This puts the US (the CSA Arny) in slot one and the default map position is on the Left
when facing Germany (the Union Arny) in slot two. This should stay the same in all
years if I have this right.

When either side is facing the Indians the Indians will be on the Right and both sides
The Union and CSA should flip to the Left side in all years as far as the Maps go.

Maps made in Desert setting will have the Africa theater and give dust storms on
occasion so use of the weather check unit is advised before you spend time on
setting up a battle. Even the Summer maps will stick us in Africa until Sept 43
when we go to Southern Europe (Italy) So dust storms are still possible. Once
in Southern Europe. Rain and snow will be a factor depending on dates. Then in
July 44 we go to Central Europe and should see only the rain and snow storms.
IF you set up in 1939 you may end up in Europe rather then Africa unless you are
facing the Indians in which case you may end up in Asia. Rain and snow for the
most part. The same should be the case of battles after 1945

This is not a big deal to work with. It sounds good to me.

For Naval Battles only

Breakdowns = OFF if necessary to eliminate ships getting stuck.
This one we might want to see what happens before we decided.

Mines = OFF Again a maybe depending on what we do with this.

No Idea yet if we need to make pref adjustments to the Navy side
until we start playing with it.

I am not going to suggest we make ships with the limited movement
for being docked. I think in this case we can use a player rule not to
move them more then a few hexes when first getting underway.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:46 pm 
Staff

I'm not sure where to post feedback, but I'll do it here (vs. starting a new thread)...
Using v4.3 (Oct 17) & Devil's Den:

Visually stunning! I'm duly impressed. :biggrin:
My only concern is viewing white font on light brown (wood) background. The unit info/status is very difficult to see. Would another font color be easier to read, or is it just my machine?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:42 pm 
Assistant

I've noticed that too, give me a week or two and I'll see if I can conjure up something to fix it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:29 am 
Assistant

Problem noted - moving a mobile HQ - in this case, Robertson's Brigade - into a stream hex caused the game to crash. I'll run more tests later, it's 11:30 PM and I have to get up at 4 AM to get ready for work.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:55 am 
Administrator

DROregon wrote:
I'm not sure where to post feedback, but I'll do it here (vs. starting a new thread)...

My only concern is viewing white font on light brown (wood) background. The unit info/status is very difficult to see. Would another font color be easier to read, or is it just my machine?

I don't have much trouble with the white-on-wood issue...maybe you could adjust your contrast some, to make the white stand out? I'm not sure what we can do about the font colors; they may be coded deep in the mech and impossible to change.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:01 am 
Administrator

Matt8683 wrote:
Problem noted - moving a mobile HQ - in this case, Robertson's Brigade - into a stream hex caused the game to crash. I'll run more tests later, it's 11:30 PM and I have to get up at 4 AM to get ready for work.

Yep, I just found that out. When we built this unit for the North Africa Mod, we expected it to be "carried" most of the time, and we didn't have any "bad terrain" that it couldn't enter.

The problem must be the Emplacement class we are using...unfortunately, it is the only class that gives the suppression benefit. I hate to lose the unit, so I might have to give it no movement and require it to be carried everywhere by the command mounts.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:21 pm 
Assistant

Or just make it a highly mobile unit, and give it a special icon showing mounted officers. Another problem, by the way, is that the command mounts can't load it, which furthers my solution.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:22 pm 
Administrator

Matt8683 wrote:
Or just make it a highly mobile unit, and give it a special icon showing mounted officers. Another problem, by the way, is that the command mounts can't load it, which furthers my solution.

Really? I haven't had any problems loading the Brigade unit onto the Command Mount unit.

Making it highly mobile won't solve the issue of it not being able to enter water-based hexes; the other hexes it can't enter don't cause the game-crash. BTW, the Emplacement uses Wheel movement rates, for whatever reason.

I have two possible fixes, both less-than-suitable: one is to give it no Speed and require it to be carried everywhere, and the other is to re-class it as something else, but lose the special benefit. I'm leaning towards the "no movement" one, simply because it retains the special "suppression reduction" ability of the Emplacement class.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:01 am 
Administrator

FWIW... I prefer the "no movement" solution, because the special "suppression reduction" ability of the Emplacement class was a critical part of the initial idea.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:00 am 
Staff

FlashfyreSP wrote:
DROregon wrote:

I don't have much trouble with the white-on-wood issue...maybe you could adjust your contrast some, to make the white stand out? I'm not sure what we can do about the font colors; they may be coded deep in the mech and impossible to change.

How about a plank of dark mahogany? Or charred white oak whiskey barrel?