STEEL PANTHERS ENHANCED // NORTH AFRIKA

Dedicated site for the SP: Enhanced, North Afrika, American Civil War, and Vietnam mods. Hosted by freeforums.org
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
WELCOME TO THE STEEL PANTHERS ENHANCED & NORTH AFRIKA MODS FORUM.

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have

* access to post topics and messages
* communicate privately with other members (PM)
* respond to polls
* upload content
* access many other special features and forum areas

Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join us and take advantage of the benefits the Steel Panthers Enhanced community has to offer you.

Post subject: Know Where Your Rear Area Really Is.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:28 pm 
Administrator

Players often assume that the rear area is behind them. This is not the case if your playing
something other then a scenario against a human player. The reason for this is simple and there is
nothing you can do to alter it. The game will place the retreat and reinforcement hexes in a line
starting at row twenty through twenty four. You can not change them no matter what. They are
set in stone. Even if you alter them on the map in the editor the game will force them to that same
area even when using the map as designed setting.

What this means is you will be forced to control that area and it will be your real line of supply to the
forces at the front. Your units will tend to run for the retreat hex no matter where they are on the
map. Your reinforcements will also come on to the map in this area.

In another post i mentioned a map made for fighting a battle in the North South direction. Players
did not like it and most of them did poorly when fighting on it because the other player was able to
get in behind them and force the retreating units to charge into the guns that were killing them,
allowing them to be slaughtered easily. All of this was made possible by the players. It was just a
case of the players not taking into account where there true rear area was located.

Just as it is your responsibility to set ranges and stance on your units during the deployment phase,
it is also your responsibility to know where your rear area is located and to take steps to keep that
area under your own control. Depending on the set up of your battle and where you are allowed
to start it may be required that you attack or move units to take control of that area so that you can
maintain the ability to retreat in that direction and to have reinforcements arrive on the field with
out taking fire from an enemy who is set up to take them under op fire as they pop up in your turn.

Keep in mind that the larger the map you use the farther south you go on it the farther you are
moving from your own rear area. So for PBM games the shortest route to the enemy rear area
will always be directly across from your own rear area. Unless there are important objectives in
the south of the map you need to hold to secure a victory that area of the map is less important
then it may seem. Your own rear area is the most important area on the map. If you allow the
enemy player to control that area you are setting yourself up for slaughter.

This same idea applies if your playing a scenario. You need to make sure you control the area were
your retreat hex is located in order to secure your own rear area. You will also want to make
sure your own reinforcement areas are secured by other units if they are not in the same area as
your retreat hex.

Keep in mind that when units retreat from a fight they first do it at a tactical level to get out of the
arc of fire they are under. If they continue to run they may start to run towards the retreat hex
and not continue to run in another direction.

Post subject: Re: Know Where Your Rear Area Really Is.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:57 am 
Administrator

Defending Your Rear Area.

In many games players do not want to be bothered by this sort of thing. They want all the forces they
have to be on the front lines of the battle and not guarding the rear area. I feel these players are
missing a good part of the game by doing that. They often eliminate the use of Infiltrators and limit
other units or disallow the use of artillery plotting on smoke plumes. They do this in order to keep
there own on board artillery and ammo supply safe from enemy attacks. In my mind they do this
because they do not want to be bothered to defend there own lines. I have seen points used as an
excuse for this sort of thing. I find that one just lame. Add more points if that is a problem. I feel
that if you going to play this game and put in the effort to play it as a serious game you will want to
include the defense of your own lines as part of that game. Defend yourself stop making up rules to
allow you to have your cake and eat it too.

One of the first things you need to do to secure your own lines is know where they are. I covered that
in the previous post. The next step is to make sure you have some AA guns to keep any aircraft from
being able to overfly your rear areas at will. If the enemy is able to use your side of the map to fly
his air strikes on and off the map with out taking fire then you can expect to be taking damage as the
enemy roams freely over your territory. Buy at least 4 medium AA guns and put them in locations
that will not only protect your other assets in the area but where they have a good view and good los
to a large area. Set the ranges to a medium range around 15 or so to allow them to shoot a bit
more then one shot at the last minute.

Keep a section or platoon of infantry with some transport in your rear area near your artillery or HQ
area to use as a last resort defense or as a mobile reserve who can go and deal with infiltrators when
they show up. Consider buying a section or platoon of MG's to keep near your artillery and HQ to
defend them.

You may want to consider a few armed vehicles and lmg teams to deal with the enemy player who
likes to send out small teams of scouts to get into your rear areas. You do need to deal with those
units and not just allow them to roam around acting as spotters. Hunt them down and kill them
aggressively.

We are not talking about a lot of points here to do all this. You should be able to do it for around
300 points. As the battle winds down you can then use these forces as necessary. But during the
main part of the game they are serving a real purpose they are keeping your rear area safe from
attack. They are providing you with a last resort reserve of units that can if necessary defend the
guns and HQ area and they can latter go over to the attack and recover those victory hexes that
are going to be easy to recover.

Defending your own rear area is your responsibility and should not be done by making rules to avoid
it. It is also not a major drain on your points or resources. IF 300 points is enough of a difference in
your battles that you win or lose because of it you need to look at your tactics and over all play and
not blame the lack of 300 points worth of forces on the front lines.

Post subject: Re: Know Where Your Rear Area Really Is.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:00 pm 
Recruit

Excellent information,I'm currently in a pbem game where my opponent failed to do just that and my modest recon force is running roughshod over his unprotected artillery park. He has a single T-34 running my way. Too Late.