STEEL PANTHERS ENHANCED // NORTH AFRIKA

Dedicated site for the SP: Enhanced, North Afrika, American Civil War, and Vietnam mods. Hosted by freeforums.org
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
WELCOME TO THE STEEL PANTHERS ENHANCED & NORTH AFRIKA MODS FORUM.

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have

* access to post topics and messages
* communicate privately with other members (PM)
* respond to polls
* upload content
* access many other special features and forum areas

Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join us and take advantage of the benefits the Steel Panthers Enhanced community has to offer you.

Post subject: Victory Hexes. Stop Chasing After Them
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:38 pm 
Administrator

Stop Chasing After Victory Hexes

Using a hard turn limit to force players to move fast is a poor mans way of altering tactics. In the real world time is less of a factor. If you make it to the goal but are so shot up as to be useless for further combat your mission was a failure. I don't even like the use of Victory Hexes but if they are used and it's worth say 100 points at the end of the battle. How much of your own force should you allow to be destroyed to take it? How much of your force should you allow to be destroyed to defend it? If your answer was 100 or more points then all I can say is you don't get it. The point is its worth only 100 points. if it cost you more in points to take or defend it you lost points to the enemy player who stole it at a bargain basement price.

Rethink this until you understand that your units are the most valuable things you have the VH are
secondary objects that are desirable but do not justify spending more in points to take them they
are worth. So in the advent that Victory Hexes are used in your games do not make the mistake of
chasing after them unless you can get them at no or low cost in points (your own units.) Rather then
chase victory hexes focus on killing enemy units with as little cost to your own forces as possible Latter once the fighting has cooled down you will find that the victory hexes are there for the taking.

In the section on deployment I told you about fighting in a North South direction. I mention this again because early on in my own map design career I made a map and had it tested by players. In almost every case the testers came back complaining that this set up allowed the attacking player to get behind them and destroy them if they chose to defend the victory hexes. They suggested I alter the map to make the battle run East West. What those testers did not understand was that the Victory hexes were not as important as the enemy forces. If they focused on the task of killing the enemy then they would not need those victory hexes in order to win the battle. They could not see past those victory hexes and could not even consider a change in the tactics they were used to using to fight a battle. They were conditioned to expect sort of fight that is based on playing scenarios or games were it was cut and dried tactics to advance or defend the victory hexes. To hell with the enemy forces those were considered extra points by them the victory hexes appeared to be a sure thing.

They allowed the simple sight of those victory hexes to affect the way they deployed and fought the
battle. I want to say this again and again and again until it is heard. STOP CHASING VICTORY HEXES. Focus on killing the enemy. If you can't do this you might as well just tell the enemy player
where your going to be and on what turn he can expect to start killing you. The computer AI goes after the Victory Hexes with a vengeance and we all know how easy it is to shoot up the AI why would you want to make it that easy for the enemy player?

Even when on the defense you should not focus on the victory hexes, While you do want to defend them and control them, if you camp on or around them you might as well just tell the enemy player where to find you. The goal is to hold them at the end of the game if you can. But the BIGGER goal
is to destroy the enemy with as little damage to yourself as possible. Keep this in mind when your making your own plans. It really will make taking or holding the victory hexes much easier.

Post subject: Re: Victory Hexes. Stop Chasing After Them
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:08 pm 
Administrator

My $.02

The game has a bad habit of placing VH flags in a senseless fashion; it doesn't know the map, and can't determine what terrain features (if any) are worth capturing/holding/defending. If you allow it to place them (as in generated PBEM battles), you'll typically get the standard 5 "clusters"; if you use a designed map, you'll be at the mercy of the map designer as to where the VHs are set up.

In either case, ignore them. They aren't what you need to look at when studying your map; what you should be looking for will depend a lot on what type of battle you are preparing for:
  • Defense Missions - look for choke points that your opponent will have to use to get at you, where you can develop "kill zones", as well as routes of withdrawal for the troops on your MLR (Main Line of Resistance). Defend the terrain, not the VHs. Deploy your forces to take advantage of these "kill zones", even if it means allowing some of the VH flags to be taken by your opponent early on; if you stall his attack, and he can't disengage, you'll have the opportunity to retake those VHs later on. Also, look for routes for counterattacks by your reserves (you do have reserves, right?), in the event your opponent gives you an opening.
  • Delaying Missions - locate good ambush sites, with covered lines of retreat, where you can deploy small task forces to "hit-n-git"; the VHs for these missions are usually of the "per turn" variety, and the typical reaction by the defender is to try and hold them as long as possible, sometimes to the extent of sacrificing his whole force. DON'T DO THIS! Only plan to hold those flags that are easy to defend, where your opponent can only come at your force in small amounts. Let him have the ones closest to the Start Line; you can't deploy well enough to cover them from the flanks, and your opponent isn't going to get that many points from them, compared to what he gets from the units he kills who were trying to hold them.
  • Attacking Missions - this is easy: forget about the VH flags and concentrate on locating and eliminating your opponent's ability to resist. This is commonly reffered to as "find, fix and destroy". Process your attack to engage the enemy, suppress him, and force him to abandon his positions; take the ground by making him give it up. Grab the VHs as you come across them, but don't plan your attack with them as the main goal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:40 pm 
Staff

Amen to all of this. It applies to many games as well. Get the enemy and the VHs will take care of themselves.

I'll add to this that I tend to look for high ground and places with good cover and try to get to them first. The high ground can let you spot the other guy and the cover lets you pick him off as he tries to cross the open ground.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:47 am 
Administrator

I think this is going to be something that some players are going to find out the hard way.
Flash makes a good point about trying to stay in cover and finding routes that you can
use that provide some sort of cover. When you have Command and Control on your
units are more susceptible to artillery then before. If the HQ which you now have to bring
with the rest of the units starts to take suppression or fire it is not going to be gaining orders.

Crossing open ground is a lot tougher and if you are playing with visibility above 24 then
the smoke is not going to help you stay completely hidden. Players are going to need to
look at ways to get where they want to go other then the direct route. This underscores
the need to make sure you have better recon then in the past and it also means that you
may even want to look at adding more turns to games if the map is heavy with terrain
features since it is going to mean much more cautious and slower movements by both sides.
They are going to see that all the chatter about adding more turns to games and slower more
cautious play is not just repeated because we like to hear ourselves talk. It's hard to be
careful and fast when your trying not to show yourself to the enemy.

You might even need to look harder at real world military methods to make all this work. :mum: