STEEL PANTHERS ENHANCED // NORTH AFRIKA

Dedicated site for the SP: Enhanced, North Afrika, American Civil War, and Vietnam mods. Hosted by freeforums.org
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
WELCOME TO THE STEEL PANTHERS ENHANCED & NORTH AFRIKA MODS FORUM.

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have

* access to post topics and messages
* communicate privately with other members (PM)
* respond to polls
* upload content
* access many other special features and forum areas

Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join us and take advantage of the benefits the Steel Panthers Enhanced community has to offer you.

Post subject: New Graphics Files
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:25 am 
Administrator

We'll start collecting the new graphic files here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:27 am 
Administrator

Matt's latest infantry icon set for Union and Confederate.

Attachments:
File comment: Infantry Icons, July 12
N-S Inf+Cav.zip [39.8 KiB]
Downloaded 17 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:15 pm 
Assistant

Ok Kevin, here are all the icons on your list. I added both regimental and brigade command mounts for both sides, and Rebs also have sharpshooters, so I guess the OB will have to be updated too?

Matt

EDIT: New file attached. Includes OOBs and SHP files.

Attachments:
SPCW Update July16.zip [109.96 KiB]
Downloaded 24 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:09 pm 
Administrator

Matt8683 wrote:
Ok Kevin, here are all the icons on your list. I added both regimental and brigade command mounts for both sides, and Rebs also have sharpshooters, so I guess the OB will have to be updated too?

Matt

OOB already updated :grin:
Thx, Matt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:03 pm 
Assistant

Cool :)
I tried putting the SHPs in there, but the command mounts, field mounts, and artillery all have their own icons. Have you already adjusted for those?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:18 pm 
Administrator

Umm...SHP file 240 is already being used for all the other icons like the wagons and gun teams...the command mounts and stuff will need to be put in another SHP file, now that there are more icons.
I'm going to stick these into the 248 SHP file with new Icon #s, since that file is pretty empty except for the ammo bearers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:49 pm 
Assistant

FlashfyreSP wrote:
Umm...SHP file 240 is already being used for all the other icons like the wagons and gun teams...the command mounts and stuff will need to be put in another SHP file, now that there are more icons.
I'm going to stick these into the 248 SHP file with new Icon #s, since that file is pretty empty except for the ammo bearers.

I got mixed up somehow, sorry about that. Well there they are, we have something to work with now. Will keep working on the other stuff.

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:47 pm 
Administrator

No problem...updated files attached above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:27 am 
Assistant

MANY MANY thanks for the icon numbers list :grin:
I'll be churning this stuff out pretty quickly, I hope. I want to put shadows on all the guns, as they are a little hard to see on the map, for me anyway. The ships are going to be the best part and the rest is easy. My problem though, when it comes to fortifications, is SP-Fixing terrain icons. I've never been able to figure it out. I have some nice fence icons done up that I'd like to see in the game. Don't see much in there that can be replaced though. The terrain in general needs a facelift. Also would like to redo small arms impacts, gun flashes, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:28 am 
Administrator

I used to have the terrain-fixing down, but it's been so long since I did terrain edits that I don't know if I remember the sequences. Tracer over at the Depot is the terrain guru, so we may have to ask him for help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:00 am 
Assistant

Just a quick heads-up, I noticed that the 12-pounder Whitworth isn't showing the correct icon in-game. It appears as a 12-pounder mountain howitzer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:10 pm 
Administrator

Probably because the isn't specific icon for the Whitworth. Most of those gun icons were done by the original CW team, and they didn't have that gun in their OOBs.

We could use a complete set of cannon icons, for all the various guns in use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:45 pm 
Assistant

[quote="FlashfyreSP"]Probably because the isn't specific icon for the Whitworth. Most of those gun icons were done by the original CW team, and they didn't have that gun in their OOBs. We could use a complete set of cannon icons, for all the various guns in use.

I've revised every gun on the icon numbers list you made, and the Whitworth was on the list, so I went ahead and made an icon for it and packed it into the SHP according to its numbers on the list. Were there any other field pieces not on the list that you wanted on there? I think you pretty much got them all. When we start working on the naval version, I'll revise the SHP to include Rodmans, Blakelys, Armstrongs, barbette mounts, etc

I was on that original team, and sadly the guy who drew the original cannons died :( Bob Hammond, if I remember right. When asked to draw the artillery icons top-down, he said he would but they would end up looking like a big fat 'H' with a *****. He was right.

Oh, and for sentimentality's sake, can this mod be dedicated to Bob once it's finished?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:42 pm 
Administrator

I don't see a problem with the dedication. Sorry to hear that one of the original team has passed...was he the same one who did the main splash screen graphic? The name on it is "Bob Wallace".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:46 pm 
Assistant

Good deal. No, Bob Wallace is not the same person. And I'm sorry, it was TOM Hammond, not Bob Hammond. Wallace works for Matrix and did a lot of the background screens for the Mega Campaigns. Before he joined Matrix he was collaborating with Sami Heimola, who started the project back in the 90s. They had actually started this for SP2, then WaW came out and they ported it over. Sami, from Finland, by his own admission wasn't too familiar with the Civil War, and didn't do too much except put the idea of a Civil War mod in motion. He attempted to moderate the project but didn't do a whole hell of a lot. I guess Bob W approached David Heath with the Civil War mod and it was readily endorsed by Matrix, who provided a private subforum like this one at matrixgames.com and were more than happy to hack the code to make it suit the period better. A few guys joined up. Bob Toncray, who is a reenactor, did the OBs, some other guys from Finland were doing ironclads and forts, I was doing the infantry and cavalry, etc. Bill Wilder, Paul Vebber, and Heath were also on that forum to check up on progress. The whole thing went stagnant, I was in high school and was more interested in girls (still am, but don't tell my wife), Tom died, hard drives crashed, and people quit. Matrix wound up pulling the plug and deleted the subforum. There actually wasn't much to show except what was released on Jarkko Vihavainen's site. The problem with the whole thing was that no one really had a clue as to the mechanics of the game, honestly. That's why I'm eager to work on this one, because now it's under a team that have released mods and know what they're doing. Anyway, Tom was doing the artillery icons. He finished them up and then died. He had worked on the Mega Campaigns too. I still laugh about his comment on the artillery icons looking like the letter H with a **** every time I fire up the game.

So let's dedicate this thing to Tom Hammond. Thanks Kevin :beer: