STEEL PANTHERS ENHANCED // NORTH AFRIKA

Dedicated site for the SP: Enhanced, North Afrika, American Civil War, and Vietnam mods. Hosted by freeforums.org
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
WELCOME TO THE STEEL PANTHERS ENHANCED & NORTH AFRIKA MODS FORUM.

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have

* access to post topics and messages
* communicate privately with other members (PM)
* respond to polls
* upload content
* access many other special features and forum areas

Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join us and take advantage of the benefits the Steel Panthers Enhanced community has to offer you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:52 am 
Administrator

Thanks for the history lesson on the original project...I joined Sami sometime in the early 2000s in working on it as a playtester, but I never liked the way they were approaching the OOBs. They were too battle-specific, meaning you couldn't fight "pick-up" battles with "generic" units; all the units were named for the historical regiments present at that particular battle.

I tried to steer things towards the same setup we have now, with basic infantry units, but I think the whole project was dying at that time anyhow.

So let's hope we can get a real working Mod out this year. :babymonkey:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:38 am 
Assistant

FlashfyreSP wrote:
I joined Sami sometime in the early 2000s in working on it as a playtester, but I never liked the way they were approaching the OOBs.

I remember that! You originally made a map of just Devil's Den then expanded it to include the Wheatfield, etc if I remember correctly. The problem with those OBs, while the idea was excellent, was that during random battles you would have, for example, four 2nd VA Regiments in a brigade, three Stonewall Brigades in a division, etc. Bob Toncray told me a while back that he had done them for all the major fights in the eastern theater, I'll try to get a hold of him to see if he still has them. They would be excellent for scenario design.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:20 am 
Assistant

These are the new field artillery icons, includes Hale rocket and mortars.

Attachments:
Artillery.zip [4.2 KiB]
Downloaded 33 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:58 pm 
Administrator

Matt8683 wrote:
FlashfyreSP wrote:
I joined Sami sometime in the early 2000s in working on it as a playtester, but I never liked the way they were approaching the OOBs.

I remember that! You originally made a map of just Devil's Den then expanded it to include the Wheatfield, etc if I remember correctly. The problem with those OBs, while the idea was excellent, was that during random battles you would have, for example, four 2nd VA Regiments in a brigade, three Stonewall Brigades in a division, etc. Bob Toncray told me a while back that he had done them for all the major fights in the eastern theater, I'll try to get a hold of him to see if he still has them. They would be excellent for scenario design.

Yeah, I still have that map. And I started work on the area to the north of Devil's Den, the Peach Orchard section. Eventually, I'd like to have maps for the whole Gettysburg battle area.

The OOB idea was fine, IF you built the Mod as "scenario only"...then you could do OOBs for each side in a battle and customize them to the forces that took part. But, for use in any random PBEM setup, you need to have "generic" units.

Post subject: Re: New Graphics Files
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:01 pm 
Assistant

New roads, bridges, and pontoons. Unzip the file to your /SHP directory. Z4 only, you will only see the new graphics at the lowest zoom level. Working on figuring out the magic trick that allows all four zoom levels to be generated automatically in the game. Have also been talking to Fred Chlanda about expanding SHPED or writing a new program to do this..

Attachments:
New Roads.zip [42.53 KiB]
Downloaded 29 times

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:27 am 
Assistant

SHP for Indians, covers foot infantry and mounted cavalry.

EDIT - This file will be replaced, I forgot to add the HQ.

Attachments:
Indians.zip [23.57 KiB]
Downloaded 29 times

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:57 pm 
Assistant

Well, I see at least one person downloaded the SHPs. Any comments/concerns/gripes/complaints? :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:15 pm 
Administrator

Just got to look over them today...nice. :thumbup:
Love the Injuns...but, as you indicated, there needs to be a "chief" unit for the mchinegun icon, same as in the US/CS icons.
On a related note, after I stuck that icon file in the game, I went through all the Indian fomations and checked their status with the icons; found a few things that we need:
1. A "Great Chief" icon, for use with the Great Chief unit. This is a "mobile emplacement" unit, corresponding to the US/CS "brigade commander" units. It will need its own special icon, and I'll have to put it into one of the vehicle SHP files.
2. Icons for both the "war pony" and "war ponies" units; these correspond to the US/CS Command Mounts and cavalry mounts units. The War Pony only needs to be 3 ponies, the War Ponies icon can be a copy of the cavalry icon in the infantry SHP file.
3. An Indian version of the Muleteers, for the Pack Ponies unit. Can have travois if possible.
4. An Indian version of the Brigade Camp icon, for use with the Council Tipi unit.
5. A "canoes" icon for the Canoes unit, which is the Landing Craft. Similar to the Longboats used for the US/CS.

As for the roads and bridges, those look fine. No need for changes to them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:52 pm 
Assistant

Thanks for the comments Kev.

I'll try to have them done by Sunday. The US Cavalry will probably simply be a remake of the infantry into squad-size elements, and I'll probably change the HQs to show a dude or two in buckskins :biggrin: Still haven't heard from Tracer about the forts, but when I do I'll let you know and try to wade through the zoomed out icons.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:31 pm 
Assistant

Kevin -

Here are the remaining icons for the Indians. Everything's labeled too.

Attachments:
Misc NA Icons.zip [7.63 KiB]
Downloaded 30 times

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:18 pm 
Assistant

Artillery impact update. The artillery has even more of a Civil War flavor now!

Attachments:
ICON0015.zip [17.67 KiB]
Downloaded 24 times

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:26 pm 
Assistant

New smoke flashes. You'll see a new graphic every time a unit fires, and whenever an infantry unit pops smoke (retreats, for our purposes). I'm also thinking about removing the tracer graphics, but may leave them in for gameplay purposes. Any thoughts?

Attachments:
MBMUZ.zip [5.81 KiB]
Downloaded 22 times

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:47 pm 
Assistant

No matter how burnt out I get, I can't stop tinkering with graphics. Split rail fences are now in the game, they are not perfect but they look the part. The zoom levels are still not right, so I'm sticking to z4. Also included are tents arranged in campground order, they can be Union or Confederate. This way players can put these custom terrain icons on the map to be captured. Also, white picket fences can be placed around single-hex houses. These are Lahtinen's fences colored white.

Attachment:
UO0001.bmp
UO0001.bmp [ 301.05 KiB | Viewed 374 times ]