STEEL PANTHERS ENHANCED // NORTH AFRIKA

Dedicated site for the SP: Enhanced, North Afrika, American Civil War, and Vietnam mods. Hosted by freeforums.org
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
WELCOME TO THE STEEL PANTHERS ENHANCED & NORTH AFRIKA MODS FORUM.

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have

* access to post topics and messages
* communicate privately with other members (PM)
* respond to polls
* upload content
* access many other special features and forum areas

Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join us and take advantage of the benefits the Steel Panthers Enhanced community has to offer you.

Post subject: Mr Fix - Long Campaign "fixer"
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:45 pm 
Administrator

NOR recently made a program, that helps with experience upgrades for long campaign,.

The SPWaW campaign system has some problems. In short, the longer the campaign, the more the core units become too strong. It is caused mainly by too light the penalty for destroyed/damaged units.

For instance, when a core unit is destroyed in a campaign, following penalties could be imposed.

1 - The unit leader will always be changed.
2 - There is a possibility that their experience/morale value lose some points.
3 - To fix or upgrade the unit, you must pay some cost.

The first penalty means loss of the leader’s kill-score and there is a possibility that incoming leader’s skills will be worse than previous one. It seems that the new leader’s skills are randomly-determined and the chance of getting incapable new leader is slightly high than the chance of getting capable one.

But it is not necessarily the new leader’s skills will be worse. So the actual penalty is only losing kill score. And losing kill score doesn’t affect game play.

About the second penalty, if you click the ‘Fix’ or ‘Fix All’ button in upgrade/repair phase, the morale value of the destroyed unit will be almost always severely decreased. Also, if you don’t ‘Fix’ it, the value will be severely decreased. But if you ‘Upgrade’ the unit, the morale value will be the same as previous.

As for the experience value, it doesn’t vary so much as the morale value in any case. It seems that the experience value of the destroyed unit will be the same as previous and it will be decreased or increased based on the other factors.

Eventually, the third is a certain penalty for a destroyed unit.

Additionally, there is almost no penalty for a damaged unit. For example, let’s take a 10 men infantry squad suffered 9 casualties at the end of the scenario.

If you click the ‘Fix’ or ‘Fix All’ button in upgrade/repair phase, the unit will be recovered all damage points and filled positions at no cost. Incidentally, even if you don’t ‘Fix’ the unit, they will be filled automatically, but the damages will not be recovered. In either case, their experience/morale value may not decrease drastically.

For these reasons, the core units tend to always gain their experience/morale value. In consequence, most of long campaigns tend to be easy to win in later scenarios. Of course, many campaign designers must know this problem and try to balance the battle, but it must be tough.

This is unfortunate situation not only for the designers but also for the players. Some players might feel the long campaign is boring…

So I made this utility named “Mr.Fix” to fix this problem and to make the long campaigns more challenging.

With this ‘Mr.Fix’, the experience/morale values of the core units will be hard to increase and easy to decrease, any campaign will be more challenging until the end, and you might able to be a self-disciplined hard-bitten commander!!

Attachments:
mrfix_manual_112.doc [355.5 KiB]
Downloaded 111 times
Mr.Fix.zip [28.17 KiB]
Downloaded 94 times

"Nothing is more essential to the establishment of manners in a State than that all persons employed in places of power and trust be men of unexceptionable characters. The public cannot be too curious concerning the character of public men."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:34 pm 
Recruit

This looks great, but I need some help. I must do a "first save" from either the end of Battle Report or the auto save page. Believe it or not, I've never saved a game from the Battle Report page. How do I do this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:53 am 
Administrator

KG Erwin wrote:
This looks great, but I need some help. I must do a "first save" from either the end of Battle Report or the auto save page. Believe it or not, I've never saved a game from the Battle Report page. How do I do this?

not sure, as I have not used this program.
Nothing in the manual?
If and when "NOR" joins here, maybe he can help.

"Nothing is more essential to the establishment of manners in a State than that all persons employed in places of power and trust be men of unexceptionable characters. The public cannot be too curious concerning the character of public men."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:43 pm 
Recruit

Well, dang. No, the manual doesn't explain how to save from that screen. I was afraid this would be a dumb question. The thing is, I was gonna test this utility, but I am stuck until I get this part sorted out. :dontknow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:04 am 
Recruit

Quote:
Believe it or not, I've never saved a game from the Battle Report page. How do I do this?

Hi KG,
You may be confused by my poor english. :confused:

To save a game from the Battle Report page is ...
Just click "Save Score" button. :cool:

Hope this help

Attachments:
BattleReport_save.gif
BattleReport_save.gif [ 22.28 KiB | Viewed 692 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:14 am 
Recruit

Ok, simple enough. Thanks, NOR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:46 pm 
Staff