STEEL PANTHERS ENHANCED // NORTH AFRIKA

Dedicated site for the SP: Enhanced, North Afrika, American Civil War, and Vietnam mods. Hosted by freeforums.org
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
WELCOME TO THE STEEL PANTHERS ENHANCED & NORTH AFRIKA MODS FORUM.

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have

* access to post topics and messages
* communicate privately with other members (PM)
* respond to polls
* upload content
* access many other special features and forum areas

Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join us and take advantage of the benefits the Steel Panthers Enhanced community has to offer you.

Post subject: Lipa's Scenario Search program
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:03 pm 
Administrator

The follwing text was written by "LIPA"

It happened many times that I wanted to play a certain scenario, perhaps a certain historical battle, but I just couldn’t find it. There is an awful lot of scenarios in the game (which is good! ), and if you’re looking for something specific, you must click on each and every one of them and read the text.

And so, about a year ago, in order to ease the search process, I designed a simple, ugly and crude utility in C++.

Now, I fiddled with it again, and released the third, probably final version. You can search for any string (15 characters long), and the program displays all the scenarios that have the string in their accompaniment texts. Next to the scenario number, a short excerpt from the text is also displayed, so that you can get an idea of what the scenario is about.

Though the program is simple, I find it quite useful. A few examples of its use:

1.) I want to play a battle in Normandy: I search for “Normandy”, and the program displays all the Normandy scenarios.

2.) I want to play a battle on the Yugoslavian side. I search for “Yugoslavia”, and the results are displayed. Then, from the short excerpt, I can see exactly which scenario is the one I’m looking for.

3.) I want to play a short battle. I search for “Turns: 12” or “Size: Small”, and get the results.

4.) I want to play a certain designer’s scenario. I search for “Jess” or “M4” or “M4 Jess”, and get the results.

5.) ...

Download it, check it out...

Sadly, however, this is all that I can do. My programming skills are limited, and I don’t know anything about true windows applications.

And so I’m also trying to encourage someone to create something like this in a real, user-friendly, windows environment (perhaps somebody already has???). What I have in mind is a little program that would search for any given string and display results (scenario numbers). Then, if you would click on one of the results, the entire scenario accompaniment text would be displayed in another window.

I think this would be a nice and useful utility, and for all you programming experts out there, I suppose it wouldn’t be to hard to code either, right?

Anyway, think about it!

Best regards!
Lipa

Attachments:
SPWaW_Scenario&Map_Search.zip [57.42 KiB]
Downloaded 76 times

"Nothing is more essential to the establishment of manners in a State than that all persons employed in places of power and trust be men of unexceptionable characters. The public cannot be too curious concerning the character of public men."