STEEL PANTHERS ENHANCED // NORTH AFRIKA

Dedicated site for the SP: Enhanced, North Afrika, American Civil War, and Vietnam mods. Hosted by freeforums.org
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
WELCOME TO THE STEEL PANTHERS ENHANCED & NORTH AFRIKA MODS FORUM.

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have

* access to post topics and messages
* communicate privately with other members (PM)
* respond to polls
* upload content
* access many other special features and forum areas

Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join us and take advantage of the benefits the Steel Panthers Enhanced community has to offer you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Graphics Updates
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:12 pm 
Assistant

Should flags be included in the infantry icons? Or have people just turn on ID Tags in Preferences? I was thinking have the flags in the first couple tiles in the infantry icons, and make them go away as the squad (company?) loses strength.

EDIT: Am stickying this topic; will be used for additional graphics discussions/changes. FlashfyreSP

Attachments:
Infantry.png
Infantry.png [ 2.65 KiB | Viewed 680 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:32 pm 
Administrator

Not my call to make but the flags units had with them carried a great deal of significance to a unit
Men who carried them would die and other men would stop fighting to pick the flag back up and
carry it forward again knowing they were going to be a target. Men died just to carry that flag
forward and did it knowingly. I would say they were a big part of the honor and moral of a unit.
and maybe should be included. I don't much like playing with unit flags turned on but I can see
times when you need to located units that turning it on is helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:17 pm 
Administrator

I don't use the ID Flags option myself...and I agree with Not on the whole flag thing. These regimental colours were the focal point of the regiment, and capturing them was a major coup for an enemy. They probably should be included.

Now, there is a high probability that we will be increasing the Crew of most units; dropping the flag from the icon could be done at the 8-man icon, as the various HQ units will be 8 men or less, and would not necessarily have flags.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:34 pm 
Administrator

While we are on the subject of Icons can you make a set of a Herd of Buffalo please?

Us redskins don't live on firewater ya know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:44 pm 
Assistant

NotAToy wrote:
While we are on the subject of Icons can you make a set of a Herd of Buffalo please?

Us redskins don't live on firewater ya know.

Wilco, let me get the infantry squared away first and then I'll work on the Injuns and their food supply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:55 am 
Assistant

Let me know if anything needs adjusting. Working on artillery crews now. Are Gatling-type weapons being used as artillery or MGs in the OBs? If MGs they will use the normal icon, if artillery they use the same as other guns, so I'll need to adjust the infantry file if MG.

Matt

Attachments:
CS Cavalry.png
CS Cavalry.png [ 32.91 KiB | Viewed 551 times ]
CS Infantry.png
CS Infantry.png [ 28.74 KiB | Viewed 549 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:28 am 
Administrator

Gatlings are classed as Machineguns, so the icon should replace the MG one in the infantry SHP files.
Also, you'll need to copy the US SHP file and rename it for the Desert infantry icons...if any battles are fought in the West, using Desert conditions, the game will "swap" to that infantry set for the US Army units. Same for the Crews.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:35 pm 
Administrator

Someone needs to send NAT one of the Kansas state quarters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:55 pm 
Administrator

Send two please. :chuckle:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:00 pm 
Administrator

Need to have the following icons updated ASAP, as they are used with most Infantry combat. List includes Icon # and SHP File it is located in.
ICONS TO BE UPDATED

UNION OOB
  1. Cavalry Troop (Unit 8) - Icon 723 [Icon0240.SHP]
  2. Field Mounts - Icon 723 [Icon0240.SHP]
  3. Command Mounts - Icon 723 [Icon0240.SHP]
  4. Sharpshooters - Inf AT icon [Icon0011.SHP & Icon0013.SHP] (unit must have dark green uniforms)
  5. Ammo Bearers - Icon 835 [Icon0248.SHP]

CONFEDERATE OOB
  1. Cavalry Troop (Unit 8 & 9) - Icon 711 [Icon0240.SHP]
  2. Field Mounts - Icon 711 [Icon0240.SHP]
  3. Command Mounts - Icon 711 [Icon0240.SHP]
  4. Ammo Bearers - Icon 836 [Icon0248.SHP]

There are many more icons that can be updated, Matt, but these are the most crucial to get done now. The various wagons, camps, gun teams and so on can be worked on at leisure.

Some notes on these:
a) The Field Mounts/Command Mounts units are the horses that carry the various HQ units. They do not have to have the same riders as the cavalry icons, but could be done to depict the regimental or brigade staff mounted. Separate icons for each side, of course.
b) The Cavalry Troop unit listed is actually just the horses, with minimal crew and weapons. It is used with the Dismount cavalry formations, and is intended solely for transport near the battle (sort of like the halftrack APC). The icon for it should be a copy of the cavalry icon, but since the unit is seen as a "vehicle" by the game, it needs its own icon. It could be added to the Icon0248.SHP file, with a new Icon #.
c) The US Sharpshooters in the Union OOB are specialized troops; they wore a uniform composed of a dark green tunic with dark brown trousers. I classed them Inf-AT simply to use the icon in the infantry SHP file; this was so I could change the uniform colour.
d) The Ammo Bearers are an infantry resupply unit, classed as an Ammo Carrier, which means it uses a "vehicle" icon; the main change is to make the crew look the same as the new infantry units. It could be redone simply by using the new Crew icon, once those are complete.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:52 am 
Assistant

Got it, but I am adding Confederate sharpshooters too. There were several battalions of them. On the Union side, there were Berdan's sharpshooters and another unit I can't think of. Their dark green uniforms will be a neat contrast. I have the Union artillery crews done, and Confederate command mounts are done too. I'll have to dig deep to see what ammo bearers might have looked like, but I'll get it done.

Still having fun!

Attachments:
RebSharpshooters.png
RebSharpshooters.png [ 1.84 KiB | Viewed 626 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:41 am 
Administrator

Matt8683 wrote:
Got it, but I am adding Confederate sharpshooters too. There were several battalions of them. On the Union side, there were Berdan's sharpshooters and another unit I can't think of. Their dark green uniforms will be a neat contrast. I have the Union artillery crews done, and Confederate command mounts are done too. I'll have to dig deep to see what ammo bearers might have looked like, but I'll get it done.

Still having fun!

I know the Rebs had sharpshooters, but for the most part, they were just regular riflemen who were skilled in hunting with their rifles. The US actually had regiments of them; 2nd US Sharpshooters (Berdan's) being the most known for their part at Devil's Den/Round Top during Gettysburg.

Now, if there is an icon for the Rebs, I can reclass a unit or two...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:32 am 
Assistant

FlashfyreSP wrote:
I know the Rebs had sharpshooters, but for the most part, they were just regular riflemen who were skilled in hunting with their rifles. The US actually had regiments of them; 2nd US Sharpshooters (Berdan's) being the most known for their part at Devil's Den/Round Top during Gettysburg. Now, if there is an icon for the Rebs, I can reclass a unit or two...

Right, but they actually did have battalions of sharpshooters formed from existing infantry companies. They didn't have access to serious target rifles like Hiram Berdan's men, with the exception of Whitworth rifles smuggled in through the blockade from England. They mainly used the reliable Enfield rifle or rifled muskets. Not peddling anything but here's a book that looks good -
http://www.amazon.com/Shock-Troops-Conf ... 0964958554

Also remember the fate of John Sedgewick! He thought he was safely out of range of the Confederate infantry, however his staff reported hearing the peculiar whine of a bullet that missed, then moments later the same peculiar whine and the impact of the round into Sedgewick's face. Supposed to have been a bullet from a Whitworth.

Almost done with your list above, the ammo bearers are proving to be hard to find reference for though. I'll look in the existing icon to see what you have to get an idea. All I have left is Confederate artillery crews, Gatlings for both sides, and ammo bearers for both sides. Gotta take a break now!

Attachments:
USSharpshooters.png
USSharpshooters.png [ 1.64 KiB | Viewed 622 times ]

Last edited by Matt8683 on Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:04 am 
Assistant

FlashfyreSP wrote:
Some notes on these:
a) The Field Mounts/Command Mounts units are the horses that carry the various HQ units. They do not have to have the same riders as the cavalry icons, but could be done to depict the regimental or brigade staff mounted. Separate icons for each side, of course.

What exactly is the difference between command mounts and field mounts? Do they represent regiment and brigade staff, respectively? If so it's no problem to do the artwork.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:40 pm 
Administrator

Command Mounts are used only for the A0 unit, the overall commander. The Field Mounts are used for all other HQ units, like Company, Regiment, Brigade, Battery Command, etc. They both use the same icon, unless you wish to make different ones; in which case, the Command Mounts should reflect the mounted staff of a Corps or Army, while the Field Mounts should look more like mounted Regimental command group

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next