STEEL PANTHERS ENHANCED // NORTH AFRIKA

Dedicated site for the SP: Enhanced, North Afrika, American Civil War, and Vietnam mods. Hosted by freeforums.org
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
WELCOME TO THE STEEL PANTHERS ENHANCED & NORTH AFRIKA MODS FORUM.

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have

* access to post topics and messages
* communicate privately with other members (PM)
* respond to polls
* upload content
* access many other special features and forum areas

Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join us and take advantage of the benefits the Steel Panthers Enhanced community has to offer you.

Post subject: Agenda
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:10 pm 
Administrator

Here is the agenda for the Mod development:

1. Square away the basic combat results for ground combat.
2. Solidify the unit scale, based in part on the ground combat results.
3. Fine-tune the naval combat aspect.
4. Expand the ground units by working up Native Tribes OOB.
5. Develop additional graphics, especially icons for units.
6. Build a selection of maps that cover some of the main battlegrounds in the war.
7. Design scenarios using those maps to depict historical battles.

Expanding these:

On the basic combat - are we seeing realistic casualty results for the period? If not, why? Is the issue in the weapons, or in the Preferences settings? What can be done to correct the results?

On the unit scale - do we have the right number of crew in the infantry units for the combat results? Would the combat work better if we scaled up the crew from 1 Crew = 1 Man to 1 Crew = 5 Men or some such adjustment?

On the naval combat - conduct tests to determine how to achieve the desired combat results. Are we seeing reasonable damage results, and are the weapons functioning according to historical evidence? If not, can we make adjustments to tune in the results?

On expanding the ground units - build the Native Tribes OOB by developing the various foot and horse units, as well as any support units needed.

On developing additional icons - can we find a "graphics guru" who can do up a set of Infantry icons to be used for the Native Tribes, which will go into the SHP file used by the Soviet OOB? Can this "guru" also create a set of fortification icons for use as terrain, in the MultiHex Stone Building type, so forts can be built on the map, rather than as single units?

On the maps and scenarios - other than testing maps and scenarios, any design of releasable work should wait until we nail down the combat systems and expanded OOBs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:23 pm 
Administrator

For you guys who want to start testing things:

Let's start by running some simple combat battles, a couple of pure infantry ones, then a few with some cannon added. Cavalry is fine too.

Pair up for PBEM, or use the AI (yes, both the US and CS Army OOBs are built for AI play), run the battles, then post your thoughts on the basic combat results here. Let's see what works and what doesn't.

Post subject: Re: Agenda
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:00 pm 
Assistant

FlashfyreSP wrote:
On developing additional icons - can we find a "graphics guru" who can do up a set of Infantry icons to be used for the Native Tribes, which will go into the SHP file used by the Soviet OOB? Can this "guru" also create a set of fortification icons for use as terrain, in the MultiHex Stone Building type, so forts can be built on the map, rather than as single units?

Got me for that. I had started doing this in SPWW2 but had no idea what to do beyond graphics and sound work. Mike I heard you wanted to hunt buffalo. Should have something worked out for the Injins soon.

Matt

Attachments:
cav1.png
cav1.png [ 2.77 KiB | Viewed 623 times ]

62.wav [ 51.91 KiB | Viewed 570 times ]
spcwicons.png
spcwicons.png [ 5.64 KiB | Viewed 631 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:55 am 
Assistant

FlashfyreSP wrote:
Here is the agenda for the Mod development:
3. Fine-tune the naval combat aspect.
On the naval combat - conduct tests to determine how to achieve the desired combat results. Are we seeing reasonable damage results, and are the weapons functioning according to historical evidence? If not, can we make adjustments to tune in the results?

Kevin -

Are you still wanting to include naval combat in version 2 of this mod? Or everything in one version?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:13 pm 
Administrator

AT this point, naval work is going to have to wait until the next major revision; we are still tuning in the infantry combat, and artillery is the next big one to get right. Once the ground artillery is working, we hould be able to do the naval stuff fairly quickly, since we'll have the adjustments figured out.

I'm going to keep the ship units and icons in the Mod for now, though...they aren't armed, so it won't do anyone any good to buy them, other than to just sail them around the map. :drunk:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:34 pm 
Assistant

Got it Coach!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:56 am 
Administrator

Alright, here are some of the most immediate issues to resolve:
  • Suppression and thresholds - units change status (i.e Ready to Pinned) too quickly. Thresholds are low, based on Morale, and suppression from each shot is high. Solution: increase Morale for all units, increase Rout/Rally Preference, reduce weapon Warhead size (Done)
  • Cannons are less effective - little if any effect on units at range, results not consistent with published reports and diaries of the period. Solution: increase Artillery vs Soft Preference, increase HE Kill numbers for weapons (Done)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:23 am 
Administrator

We can give it a go but you have to stop updating the units on us so quickly. We need time to test
If your happy with the units as they are we can find settings to get the feel you want to have.

If you just have to fondle the oobs a bit make ships or something. Leave the men alone for a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:41 pm 
Administrator

NotAToy wrote:
We can give it a go but you have to stop updating the units on us so quickly. We need time to test
If your happy with the units as they are we can find settings to get the feel you want to have.

If you just have to fondle the oobs a bit make ships or something. Leave the men alone for a bit.

Me, fondle OOBs? :blink:

:teeth:
I'm done with them for now...if anything, I'll start fleshing out the Native American OOB with some units.
So git' ta shootin', ya durned varmints! :maniac:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:49 pm 
Administrator

Hacked the OOB Editor and changed the names of the OOBs being used for the Mod. File attachd below. Will also be adding it to the full Mod for install.

Attachments:
File comment: Edited Editor file for CW
SPCW OOB Editor vs. 5.0.zip [442.51 KiB]
Downloaded 18 times

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:13 pm 
Assistant

Kevin didn't you have a release date in mind? Because at the rate I'm working it won't be ready by the summer. We all have real life jobs and issues. Let's just not worry about that, I don't want it to be released without the new terrain.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:04 pm 
Administrator

Matt, I don't have a firm date yet...it'll be the day we all agree "Everything is done." :cool:
But we do need to "reign in" ourselves and get the most important stuff done now...a lot of this is going to have to wait for a second release (like the naval stuff). What i'd like is to get the terrain finished (forts, roads and bridges, and entrenchments/cover, plus what you're working on), the infantry and artillery combat dialed in with a set of Preferences that give a good feel for the period, and a few maps and scenarios to give players something to try out.
I can wait for the naval guns and ships, even the Indians if need be. Cuz' I'm itchin' to toss this out there and see the reaction...as well as gather all the feedback on what needs fixed and what stuff would be good additions.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:16 pm 
Assistant

That's exactly what I hoped to hear. That list is being worked on, no worries. Thanks Kevin.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:28 am 
Administrator

Ok, here's the revised List Of Things To Do:

OOB WORK
1. Finalize the Native American OOB re: units and weapons.
2. Make any changes to Unit Data needed as a result of testing.
3. Ensure all units have proper Pictures, Icons, and Sounds assigned.

GRAPHICS WORK
1. Complete Earth Fort terrain set.
2. Complete Roads and Bridges update.
3. Complete Native American icon set, including all infantry and special icons.
4. Complete work on any other terrain items of interest.

TESTING
1. Continue review of infantry combat for best settings.
2. Continue review of cannon combat for best settings. If necessary, make adjustments to Unit Data.
3. Test overall Preferences under full game conditions.

MECH/MOD WORK
1. Update Experience, Morale and Skill entries in Mech file.
2. Make changes to Leader Ranks. Rearrange order for assignment.
3. Look into changing Leader Names. If deemed too labour-intensive, drop.
4. Update Mod.ini file with all file changes, repack Mod and test for errors.

Once we get this done, the Mod should be ready for release. The next step would be to concentrate on the naval portion, and any further terrain upgrades, such as buildings.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:55 pm 
Administrator

Gonna toss in a bit of my own on this one. I would like to see more work done on the Naval
stuff before we set the mech numbers and pref settings in stone and call them done. Since
the mech numbers will need to be set for the navy too and those may end up being really
different then where they are now. I suspect we will have to make them a lot higher then
they are now to keep ships from running away from a fight. Until we can sink a few ships
and see how they are going to preform we can't set new numbers.